This page contains tips, tricks, and strategies for new players who want to fight their way to victory in Fortnite.
- Explore the party settings in the main menu. The default setting is Public which means you’ll be paired up with random players if your party isn’t already full.
- If you want to play with friends, change the settings to Friends Only.
- If you want to play solo, change the settings to Private.
- You can also use the Private setting to make the party invite only.
- At the beginning of missions, use your pickaxe to stock up on wood, twine, metal, and stone.
- Search through houses, towers, banks, cemeteries, and other buildings of interest for ammo, traps, nuts ‘n’ bolts, bacon, and other special items.
- Check the backrooms, top floors and basements of buildings for chests, rare chests and vaults.
- Look closely at broken down walls, floors and behind stairwells. Sometimes you’ll find hidden rooms with chests and other valuable items.
- Caves are especially known for having great loot.
- Discover the entire map and be on the lookout for survivors. Survivors found during missions give XP to your heroes.
- Don’t spend too much time farming on missions that have a time limit.
- You can always play a mission again if you want to farm some more.
Break Garden Gnomes. They tend to house active power cells.
- When playing Storm Shield Defense, party leaders can give building permission to members by using the Storm Shield computer. Navigate to Permissions, and add them to the permissions list.
- Use traps sparingly in the earlier levels since they are easier.
- Build walls from stone or metal to make your base harder to break down.
- Try not to overbuild and overuse traps, especially in levels that have a building minimum and if you like to play offensively.
- Save some of the best traps for your Storm Shield base.
- Always keep some low-level schematics handy in case you run out of high-level building resources.
Upgrading schematics will change the crafting requirements, usually for more durable and harder-to-find items. Make sure you’re ready for that before upgrading.
- The lightning power of a weapon indicates how powerful it is.
- The background color of an weapon’s icon indicates its rarity.
- The more rare the weapon, the rarer the items required to build it.
- It’s a good idea to recycle or place weapons in your collection book before they break.
- Hold down R to craft more ammo for the gun you’re currently carrying.
Keep at least 2 good melee weapons in your inventory. This will help when you run out of ammo and encounter enemies that are resistant to ranged weapons.
- Master the art of headshots, especially if you’re sniping. This will keep husks from getting too close to your base.
- If you run out of ammo for the gun you’re using, switch to a gun that uses different ammo. Sounds obvious, but it’s easy to forget in the heat of the moment.
- If you run out of ammo, switch to a melee weapon.
- Husks that carry propane tanks can be used for an explosive attack. Shoot at the propane tank to kill a group of nearby husks.
- Place a brick ceiling on your building to keep explosives from reaching the ATLAS.
- Keep a few traps in your inventory in case you need to set them down. Sometimes husks will exploit a poorly defended spot during a wave.
- Place a healing pad inside the base so teammates can heal in peace.
- Place slanted walls inside of your base for an added layer of defense.
Stay on high ground and use your map to track where husks are coming from throughout the mission. Be on the lookout for stragglers that come from unexpected directions.